Thursday, June 30, 2011

Of Sleeping and Faults

To begin, I'd like to announce that I've opened the Blog to the general public. Aside from some access issues for people, I decided I have nothing to hide in my persoanl opinion, so I'm letting it out there! :-)

The readings in the The Rule are beginning to get rather interesting...

Chapter 22 is about how the Monks sleep. No joke. Rules on how they sleep. So they each get separate beds which is nice, and if possible all monks are to sleep in the same place. If the community is large, then they are to be broken into groups of 10 or 20 under "the watchful care" of seniors. Further, there is to be a lamp burning through the night until morning.

Now I don't know about you guys, but I like pitch black for sleep. Mostly because I am such a light sleeper. Sleeping with people who snore or are loud, and having a light on would probably result in an early death for me because I would never sleep. NEVER.

As the chapter continues, monks are to remain clothed and girded with their belts or cords on. When morning comes or the time to rise, they will all enthusiastically get up to do the work of God. I like this part. I found it very difficult for a long time to get up willingly during college years. High School I was up and ready to go...then college made me lazy! HA!

I'm getting back intot the waking up early thing again and I love it because I actually get to have a nice enjoyable day!!! :-)

The final section of the chapter states that, "The younger brothers should not have their beds next to each other, but interspersed among those of the seniors." (RB 22:7) They are to quietly encourage each other, "for the sleepy like to make excuses." (RB 22:8) Man do I know how that goes, and I'm sure many of us can relate to the difficulty of getting up sometimes. But when in the presence of "morning people" we either love them for the energy or find them annoying. I definitely need to work on this one because I need to not be so grouchy in the morning. LOL.



Chapter 23 is all about "Excommunication for Faults". When I first read this my heart sank, because Lord knows I have faults, and in spite of them I am trying to better myself, so I read this chapter today with great attention and concern.

It says that if a brother is "found to be stubborn or disobedient or proud, if he grumbles or in any way despises the holy rule and defies the orders of his seniors, he should be warned twice privatrely by the seniors in accord with our Lord's injunction." (RB 23:1-2) On the Lord's injunction it lists a passage from Matthew 18:15-16 which states;

"If another believer sins against you,
go privately and point out the offense.
If the other person listens and confeses it,
you have won that person back.
But if you are unsuccessful,
take on or two others with you and go back again,
so that everything you say may be confirmed by two or three witnesses."

Wow. It goes on to say that if said brother does not amend at this point then he is to be rebuked publicly in front of everyone. If that doesn't do it then they are to be excommunicated assuming that the offending brother understands "the nature of the punishment". If he does lack understanding then The Rule recommends corporal punishment.

Now let's pause a moment here. I do know that the next several chapters involve further clarification of this, so I doubt this is as harshle practiced as it is listed here. There is a keen distinction between discipline and removal from an order, and there are degrees of faults, which will be examined in future readings...but the point here is the beginning, which is the foundation of the reasons for possible discipline and removal. It is still about the confession and openness with a brother. To struggle but to not do it alone. And if anyone alive understands the breadth of this its me.

I have several personal brothers that have helped shape me into the person I am today...which came with some painful recolleciton of faults from the past, getting them out there and beginning the long road to healing. I also know from another book that I am reading..."Walking with God" by John Eldridge, that as we attempt to walk with God, our human nature separates us from a time because our hearts and minds are torn between "living life" and living God. Understanding one's failures, atoneing for those sins and doing penance are the hallmarks of Catholic theology. This process is therefore no different in my mind. I don't know of many places where any form of corporal punishment is admitted, and I'd be curious to know what those things are in today's day and age.

So I have some investigating to do. My fears have been assuaged thus far...so we'll see what the next few chapters bring! :-)

Pax!

Nick

No comments: