Well this post actually encompasses 2 days and wraps up 2 chapters! We finally get to the end sections of Chapter 7 on Humility. This final section talks about how monks should manifest this sense of humility in all things. In fact, it goes on to suggest that one should walk around with their head bowed and their eyes down always fearful of the Lord and that his judgement is upon us.
Now I think the message here is clear. We shouldn't as Oblates literally mimic this at ALL times, but there are times where I've experienced this even prior to beginning this journey. I wouldn't say I've related it to the sense that the judgement os God is at hand or in progress, but certainly the blinders put on to avoid the chatter of the world and focus on God.
It further suggests that in doing so a monk should always count himself guilty on account of his sins, "Lord, I am a sinner, not worthy to look up to heaven." (Luke 18:13) Man I can relate with this one. There are definitely times where sin has been so prevalent where we do feel the way Luke describes. I went through a rather large bought of this self inflicted unworthiness for almost a year, and prior to that was oblivious for over a decade. While these experiences certainly included a large sense of admitting the guilt of sin, and the feeling of unworthiness, those situations were very negative and actually resulted in some seriously painful experiences. Thankfully, I was saved by some really close friends through God. And thankfully those friends continue to support me through lingering struggles and work to bolster me into my new life.
The final part of Chapter 7 talks about how all the steps of humility therefore allows the monk to arrive quickly at the perfect love of God which, "...casts out fear." (1 John 4:18) I'd like to quote the final section because I believe it is the goal of us all:
" Through this love, all that he once performed with dread,
he will now begin to observe without effort,
as though naturally, from habit,
no longer out of fear of hell, but out of love for Christ,
good habit and delight in virtue.
All this the lord will by the Holy Spirit graciously
manifest in his workman now cleansed
of vices and sins." (RB 7:68-70)
In this entire chapter it speaks of the steps required to achieve the humility to accept this grace from God and do so through some rather arduous thought processes. I think it's worth noting here that this chapter alone could make the case for this journey for ALL of us. It was a real blessing to have read it and share my thought on it with you all.
Chapter 8 is rather short and encompasses todays' reading. It's all about The Divine Office at Night.
It speaks of the seasons, and the times of the year when monks should observe this part of the prayer day. It suggests that is it reasonable to have one arise at the "8th hour of the night" which allows for brothers to arise allowing time for food to digest which is an interesting consideration to be made for prayer. It further states that in any time remaining after Vigils, "those who need to learn some of the psalter or readings should study them." (RB 8:3) I can definitely tell you I am still trying to learn the Psalter...it's not easy that's for sure!
It goes on to clarify that after Easter but before November, "the time for Vigils should be adjusted so that a very short interval after Vigils will give the monks opportunity to care for nature's needs. Then at daybreak, Lauds should follow immediately." (RB 8:4) Now to clarify here, most monastery's do not all follow the exact same prayer schedule. In my study I've learned that while they all agree to a set of standards at a minimum, each Abbey does their prayer in the way that suits the time and needs of that monastic community. As each one differs in it's mission and work, it therefore stands that such times may be shifted to accommodate the work that needs to be done.
I think that then is a wonderful thing and mirrors perfectly the Oblate obligation for prayer. We are all on this journey inside the construct of our ongoing lives within the world. We are caused to at the least complete morning and night prayer, and more as our time and lives permit. The obligation of daily prayer within the office is a wonderful addition to the day, and I found this section of the rule to be interesting given it's very specific call outs for timing.
That's all I have today folks.
Pax!
Nick


No comments:
Post a Comment