Sunday, June 26, 2011

19: The Discipline of the Psalmody

Today was another really great reading from The Rule.

Today wasn't so much about understanding the prior chapter structure to the praying of Psalms or their recitation, but more about prayer and the teachings regarding that prayer. I think using today's Corpus Christi context is rather fitting. It's not just enough to pray on your own or to "say the right things" to God...those are of course all valid ways to commune with Him, but let us not forget the power of prayer communally and within the Body of the Church.

Father Bramlage gave a powerful Homily this morning regarding how we actually commune with God. He said that praying on your own and private worship is certainly permissible and favored by many, but that is simply not enough. We are invited in full context to participate in the body and blood of Jesus Christ as a Church, as ONE body. It can be extremely difficult to do this sometimes in our ever increasingly individualistic societal value structure, which is bent on getting further and further into the non-confrontational, non-communicative devices of "the future". And while we must observe and participate in change, not ALL change is good.

I take the example of texting.

Texting is an idiots way to communicate. We ll look so silly staring into our phones and furiously typing short messages which are almost always taken out of context...no one actually TALKS anymore. This is just like the prayer life I mentioned above. Sure texting is a short form of communication, much the same as private prayer is for us when we are on the go in our busy daily lives. But when we sit in a classroom, or an organization meeting...suddenly we are transformed INTO the conversation. In fact, most students today are mostly silent, because they don't know HOW to talk to people, and instead look down in preference to not making eye-contact.

It's like when you go to Church. Church = the meeting mentioned above. You HAVE TO participate, say the stuff, go through the motions...and then..the DREADED "Peace Be With You"...and you get limp handshakes, or just a nod or a wave. What is wrong with all of us? To have that fully intimate relationship with God we must not only participate in private and as an observer, we MUST DO! Like communicating to another person...you have to TALK to them to really get the message across. I shudder to think where the world will be in just 10 years time, when all human interaction is on the brink of failure because we are all mindless automatons staring into the latest social media device.

How about this...

When at church...greet enthusiastically as Jesus taught us.  Go to Adoration and be in the presence of our risen Lord. Go to Confession and be healed by Him who came before us..FOR us. No...cell phones will never replace the physical interaction of people for me...just as I will continue to get closer to God by more FULLY participating in His body the Church.


The other concept in chapter 19 is "the divine presence". Yes we can have God in private or at church...but it's important to realize that He is in fact everywhere, "We believe that the divine presence is everywhere and that in every place the eyes of the Lord are watching the good and the wicked." (Prov. 15:3)

While this lesson is surrounded in the vessel of the Divine Office and it's thoughtful use throughout the day/week/life, it applies to our lives as well. A great quote from a website I happened upon:

"At times, prayer is a real struggle because our hearts and our minds are drawn strongly elsewhere. We must learn how to struggle and not to give in to other attractions in the time of prayer. This will strengthen us as we struggle with other temptations in our lives as well. Spiritual learning has a similarity in every struggle for virtue and every struggle against vice.

Perhaps we struggle with gossip or envy or anger or lust or any of the seven great vices. The struggle is almost always the same or at least similar. We must learn how to bring our attention to the Lord our God, who loves us, rather than leave our attention tied to the vice that attracts us. Or perhaps we are struggling to develop good habits in our lives, virtues. Again, the challenge is to keep our hearts and our minds in tune with the words that we can say as prayers.

May our Lord Jesus show us how to struggle so that we may remain faithful. No matter how many times we fail, may we return to faithfulness through His compassion and mercy."
(http://christdesert.org/Detailed/889.html)

This is what I think about most days. How can I do these things when I know that God is watching? How can I think or say these things when His presence is before me? Well the answer is sad but true..I am a human being. I often put other things in my life first because of the time, circumstance, need, etc. all of which are perceived...not always the case in reality.

What I love however, is that it's BECAUSE he's watching me and I do struggle, and that I am loved, that I know I will make it through the things that ail me. "Let us consider then how we ought to behave in the presence of the Lord and His angels..." (RB 19:6) 


Couldn't have said it better myself...praise be to God.

Pax!

Nick

No comments: