In The Rule, the "rules" for the order of Vespers, Lauds, Compline, and the placement and statement of specific Psalms and prayers continues...
Once again rather than address the chapters in specific, let's take the entirety of the selections and address a very interesting concept that came up in one the reading materials I was sent with my assignment. It talks about the understanding of time. There is our time, and God's time...to make this example simple. What we experience each day is rather interesting to me. It talks about how when things are good or happy, time seems to pass by quickly, and conversely when we are stressed, agitated or bored, time seems to move much slower. Yet, of course, we all know that time just marches on it's steady pace. So why do we feel this extreme change in "time" based on how we feel?
I think it's because of how we view "time" in our limited understanding of its existence. We have clocks around the world that "measure" time, but are we really measuring anything? The more I got to thinking about it, the more I became bewildered by the idea that I don't really understand "time" at all. Like...we all try to understand gravity...well where does "time" come from? How is it created? Why do we react to it the way we do? This is some deep stuff here people!
In my perception of time, I am certainly guilty and victim to the description above as it relates to emotional attachment in the passage of time. Isn't that amazing. Fact is...according to us, there is still the same 24 hours in a day. How confusing...and annoying.
What about God's time?
First of all, I believe God IS time. Every second of the day we have a chance to spend "time" with Him! He created "time" for us to be WITH Him. SO why don't many of us take advantage of such an awesome gift and opportunity. I mean God stepped into our reality through Christ to feel what and how we felt, and to offer us the unique capacity to use our "time" to be WITH Him.
The centrality of The Liturgy of the Hours then is what makes this come full circle. Through the ancient Psalms in God's own words, are encapsulated every human emotion and how it relates to "time".

They "start" "time" and "end" "time" each day forever, and do so in a way WITH God. The link above will send you to the Divine Office website. They have an app for your iPhone/iPod/iPad/Computer or you can follow along online. I have it for my iPhone/iPad and IT IS AWESOME! I love that the app comes with recordings so I can listen and participate along with my headphones while traveling. AWESOME!
This then is how God has utilized the Psalms to reach each one of us. I hope all of you will check out The Hours and consider adding the morning and evening prayers into your routine. Spend time WITH God to hem in your day, and see if you feel a difference in your relationship with Him!
More to come of the thoughts of time later. I hope this stirs your thoughts a bit, as it has mine. Feel free to leave Comments!
Pax!
Nick


No comments:
Post a Comment