So I have several days of readings to elaborate on, and some more personal things such as Fr. Bramlage, my spiritual mentor retiring and even more news on my joining of the Fr. McGivney Guild for the K of C.
When we last left off, we were discussing the cause of faults and excommunication from the order. Chapters 24-26 continue on that theme. Chapter 24 talks about there being various degrees of excommunication. Per my initial instincts on this, The Rule is very clear that the punishment fit the crime. The abbot is the sole authority on the gravity of faults. Less serious faults result in not being included at the "common table". Those excluded from the table will not be allowed to lead psalms or a refrain nor recite a reading until he has made satisfaction and he will take his meals alone after the other brothers have eaten.
It then further clarifies this by time frames, and the gist here is that a faulted brother eats after the other brothers meals and at the opposite time frame, and will continue to do so until he gains pardon.
Chapter 25 talks specifically about serious faults. These brothers are then excluded from both the table and the oratory. No other brothers are permitted to associate or talk to the brother in question. The brother will do his work alone living continually in "sorrow and penance" pondering his fearful judgement. His time for food is basically controlled by the abbot. And the brother is not to be blessed by anyone for any reason.
Both rules do NOT determine what those faults are that authority is given to the abbot. I obviously want some examples so I'm sending an email to the Oblate Director for some further input.
Finally, Chapter 26 is about what happen to other brothers who associate with an excommunicated brother. He who does so without the proper authority to do so should receive the like punishment as the excommunicated brother.
Again...these rules seem to be against the parts of the Rules and discipline of the order and not necessarily about sinfulness. As I stated before there are always ways of dealing with the faults of others and ways to remove those people that would cause the larger group harm. These forms of "punishment" seem to be in careful control of the abbot, and places some pretty serious pressure on that position. I know that in future chapters more information is presented about this, but in general I have to agree with these rules. It is obviously handled in a caring way because the separation of a brother is obviously not desirable nor welcome. Great care is obviously taken to ensure the spiritual connections between people are not permanently severed.
These rules have definitely got me thinking about the way I engage in the "judgement" of people. I've made some enormous progress in removing that from my life...so I feel good about my line of growth here.
Now I'd like to move on to today's official last Mass for Fr. James Bramlage as pastor at St. Peter in Chains Cathedral.
Fr. Bramlage is one of my favorite people. He and I hit it off almost immediately when I went to see him in confession after he agreed to assist me in my Confirmation process several years ago. I remember asking him how to confess for almost 18 years of sinfulness, and he said...do the best you can! LOL. How like him!
Fr. B was involved in ministry for 47 years and 20 years as pastor at the Cathedral. After helping me and doing my Confirmation for me...I still remember him giving my the chrism oil on my forehead at that Mass. Later I took the crucifix on my Rosary and pressed it to my forehead to keep the oil with me. Even today, my crucifix still smells slightly of that scented oil. Just awesome.
Then he married my wife and I. Working with him through that process was wonderful. I remember the NOVELS long emails I'd send him with questions, concerns, fears, joys...and he handled it all with such a grace. It just drew me even closer to him. After our marriage (and the funny story with Steph's bouquet)...Father and I began monthly lunches which continue to this day. We alternate who buys and we try to get a new restaurant each time. It's always a treat, and one of my favorite activities.
At the Mass today all 3 Cincinnati bishops were in attendance and HUNDREDS of people came to pay tribute to such a humble and great man. Afterwards at the reception, he got a nice book with memories hand written in by friends, parishioners, etc. Then he got a really cool old school bike. It had a horn and buzzers...HILARIOUS. Then he got a brand new car. A 2012 Hyundai Sonata limited edition. It's one of those new cars with a start button a no keys. Watching Fr. B (who is a technology averse person) try to get the car to start was truly fun to watch. And then he was handed a check for $10,000 for his service...not to mention the reception and food was absolutely fabulous. I couldn't think of a more fitting tribute to such a godly man.
And lastly...I decided to join the Fr. McGivney Guild. Fr. McGivney is the priest responsible for starting the Knights of Columbus. He has a guild dedicated to his canonization to sainthood in the church. I feel it extremely important because I have a unique connection to Fr. McGivney. He, as I do, enjoy working with young people in the advancement of their faith, and in my own.
The Guild is dedicated to advancing his status as Venerable to that of a Saint. Men and women across the world pray and work in his name and great deeds have already been performed on his account. I got all my prayer cards and information on him in the mail this weekend, and am very excited to add him to my collective prayer time and to ask for his intercession. The K of C is a wonderful organization whose chief aim is to advance worthy causes. As an Oblate the K of C is a terrific compliment. It gives me the chance to help people, work for charity groups and community service. Something I think that every Oblate needs to be involved in.
That's what I have folks. A terrific day today!
Pax!
Nick



No comments:
Post a Comment