Saturday, July 30, 2011

We're Back - Part 2

Going back over these readings has actually been very fun and uplifting for me. I get to review the material I've read so that I can share adequately what is contained therein and to provide my feedback.

I recently completed my 2nd assignment and got my 3rd. So I'll be working on that over the next week or so as I try to get everything else in life caught up and prepped to go for the very busy fall season. I am excited however because I get to go to St. Meinrad in a few weeks with one of my very best friends and am looking forward to being "home" so I can reflect and hopefully get through some of the issues that have been plaguing me personally over the past several months.

And so...below is another 5 chapters of info and analysis and I hope you enjoy!

And we continue...

Chapter 31: Qualifications of the Monastery Cellarer


This is a position appointed by the abbot in a monastery. It gives several very good characteristics of what this type of person should be. It indicates that this person is to care for all the things within the monastery as assigned and made permissible to him. While the list is lengthy the final point is for him to be humble. And if you go back and read my post on Humility you'll see how that analysis adequately demonstrates what is really required here. This person is also responsible for meals and such as well. If it is a large community he may have helpers so that the duties of his office do not go undone.

I think it is interesting that there are "offices" within a community. Granted it makes sense that a large group would have subdivisions of responsibility, but in religion I don't think people would consider this about monks...I mean...you kind of do...you get my point! :-)


Chapter 32: The Tools and Goods of the Monastery

This section is more about the resources given a monk in his particular station within the monastery. It is indicated that these items are to be entrusted down through succeeding monks as the roles turn over. It does say that failure to maintain such items will result in being reproved.

I think it is rather funny in a way that there is actually some discipline out there for the keeping of "items". If this was when I was in college, I would've loved to get on people for not providing records or handing down items that were necessary to the basic understanding of the rules and what's to be done. Its the lack thereof that depraves a person or group from the full intention of potential that could be realized in any given experience. I'm glad the monks have this in their rules because it binds them irrevocably to the task of ensuring the traditions and execution of tasks remains intact.

Chapter 33: Monks and Private Ownership

Now THIS is interesting. Many people know that monks are to renounce possessions and live basically with nothing. Well that is largely true with a notable exception. The Rule States that, " no one may presume to give, receive or retain anything as his own, nothing at all - not a book, writing tablets or stylus - in short, not a single item, especially since monks do not have the free disposal even of their own bodies and wills." (RB 2-4) Unless of course it is prescribed by the Abbot.

There it is! The exception.

Now at my last retreat at St. Meinrad this was brought up by one of the not yet invested brothers. He had like 7-8 different bibles. Yes. Bibles. They were all different kinds, and reminded him of the different phases he had gone through on his journey in life as he became closer and closer to his vocation. When he arrived at St. Meinrad he had to renounce his possessions, and he went to the Abbot about these Bibles. Surely the Abbot would permit Bibles! As the story was told he was permitted to keep ONLY ONE. So this brother toiled many evenings trying to decide which Bible he would keep.He remembered how he sat there looking through them and paging through them to try and find "the one". At last he settled on his very first one...which was all matted and worn from many years of hard use. He determined that in itself was the sign he needs because time and again he found himself returning to that one Bible and that's the one he kept.

I love this story because man do we live in a society of excess. We have so much and if you were forced to chose what you would keep in a cell you would be in for the rest of your life, what would you choose? Some might say computer to stay connected to everyone. Some would say a video game portable device like an iPad of iPhone or something. Some may choose their favorite book. For me...and this surprises even me, I would choose to keep The Rule. As I've been going through this process and reading it, it's resource to me as a guide for a better life has been very clear despite my failings and issues. Somethingto have all of you think about.

This rule finishes by stating that if anyone is caught indulging in having possessions they may be warned a few times and afterward if no amending they be punished.


Chapter 34: Distribution of Goods According to Need

This rule is all about the consideration for weaknesses, not about favoritism. This is awesome:

"Whoever needs less should thank God and not be distressed, but whoever needs more should feel humble because of his weakness, not self-important because of the kindness shown to him. In this way all the members will be at peace." (RB 3-5)

Man, those of you that know me, know I could literally write a book about this quote from The Rule. We all have weaknesses and failings in our lives, and some of us have little need for much because of the Graces we are given. Others of us, like myself, thank God everyday for NOT having all the Graces that "I think" I need, deserve or should have, rather, I am thankful for His love and caring for me despite my flaws as a person. 

Read the above quote again...

It is so easy to feel better about affliction because of attention. Some people use the "tough love" technique to prove a point. Some do it to abdicate responsibility to or for someone/thing. In this use of the phrase however, we pause to take a moment and reflect on God's awesome insight into our lives, and through a centuries old rule we find that God's love is alive and well in the world even when we have a hard time "seeing" it. Awesome.

The final part of this rule states that there is to be no grumbling from those afflicted by "needs". If so they are to undergo more severe discipline. 


Chapter 35: Kitchen Servers of the Week

And now for something a little lighter in tone! :-)

This rule is about brothers serving each other in meals.Each brother is assigned to kitchen service regularly and may not get out of said work unless important business or sickness prevents them. Now for the nitty-gritty...

On Saturdays the brother done with his week of serving shall do the dishes and cleanup. The brother who is ending and the one beginning are charged to wash to other brothers feet. The utensils are given to the cellarer who gives them to the new brother so he knows what he is doing for his week.

The hour before mealtime, the kitchen works of the week get bread and drink over and above the regular portion for their efforts. That way they can serve the other brothers without grumbling. On solemn days those brothers are to wait to do so until after the dismissal.

On Sunday right after Lauds the workers old and new will make a profound bow in the oratory before all and ask for their prayers. Each one says a blessing which is specifically prescribed in the Rule 3 times and then they receive a blessing. Once the blessing is received that brother begins his service.

This section is neat because it adds some profoundly religious components to something many families and people here take for granted. I am not suggesting families insert this type of ritual into kitchen service, merely saying that there is a lot of value in that kind of prayer time and thanksgiving for those that do the work.


And there's my latest update. Hope to have Part 3 up tomorrow during the day sometime.

Pax!

Nick

No comments: