Sunday, August 21, 2011

Rejuvinated

I love the Psalms.

Frankly put, there is nothing out there more beautiful nor as thoroughly calming as the Psalms.

Well all, I just returned from my second retreat at St. Meinrad Archabbey. I went with one of my closest friends, and had one of the most relaxing and wonderful weekends I've had in a very long time. Getting the chance to return "home" was both awe inspiring, calming, meditative, forgiving, and just down right reassurance that God is with me on my path and that I am going in the right direction with things. This retreat was a thorough examination one study of the Gospel Miracles of Jesus, and learning what THE REAL miracles are in the story, which amazingly has nothing to do with actual depicted miracle performed in any of the gospel narratives. I was just astounded by how well the message was delivered.

WOW...Check out that bald spot...*gulp!

Arriving on the Hill was just as member able as the first time the spires shot out of the countryside hills of Indiana. Their gold guilded crosses emanating with a radiance that one can hardly describe without having actually been there.



I got to stay in the actual dormitories this time versus the retreat house...and honestly I preferred the dormitory style setting much more. Lots of space and it was always very quiet say for the chimes from the church clock tower every 15 minutes. Getting to go with my brother Alex was a REAL treat. We have so many things in our lives in common...but our experiences are so different that getting to level set with him is always a terrific experience for me, and fun as well. He and I got to talk about literally everything while we were there and I enjoyed my time very much!



Fr. Eugene delivered the retreat message this past weekend. And in between prayers with my brother monks, catching up with some old monk friends, and meeting new ones, I took almost 10 full typed single space pages of notes. Talk about crazy! That much good information was made available...and it was delivered in a very humorous fashion that really sealed the deal for me. We also had a retired scholar from the University of Notre Dame in the audience with almost 60 retreatants...the room was literally overflowing!!!


So after all the conferences...there was prayer. The prayer with the monks is something I really wish I could do everyday in person. I do it myself...but to be there with my brothers is a really awesome thing. And to be in that place...with the echoing grace of the brothers was just breath-taking. Now that I am studying monastic life during this oblation process, I see into things so much more than I did before. I understand better why things are the way they are and my place in the rank of the brothers.


I got to talk with the Oblate Director and turn in my month 4 assignment in person. Alex got to meet him which was very cool. He also gave us Confession later on Saturday and for the first time in a long time I actually cried. It was so relieving...and Fr. Brune was so supportive and awesome. There is no shame in the awesome advice he gave me, the explanation about things in my life, and how I am now going to deal with things moving forward. An incredible experience and one I'm not going to soon forget!

Finally we get to Sunday Mass. OMG. Alex and I got to sit behind the concelebrating priests and see things from the first person POV. It was very cool. But the part I was really looking forward to was the monks singing in Harmony during communion. It's the only time the brothers sing in harmony during the week...and they are good. I was fighting back the tears of joy I get in those instances and ultimately Alex and I were the last ones in line to get communion. Fitting really, because the last ones are first. It was almost like it was planned that way.

On the last night Alex and I were there...after Confession and Mass and dinner and prayer, we grabbed our Rosaries and walked the perimeter of the ground...the stars were beautiful, and you could just glance the milky way stripe in the sky overhead...we prayed the Rosary together as we walked and just annoyed the cool air, the reflection of the night sky on the still lake waters...just surreal and calming.

Me entering the Seminary for bedtime!

All in all, it was an awesome retreat with my bro Alex, and my brother monks. After 4 months of study and prayer I feel closer than ever, more on the right path despite my inequities and sins, and look forward to getting to go back in March with my bro Corey!

Thanks be to God for his unending love, forgiveness, and grace. I learned the REAL miracles this weekend, and with that I am bidding the world goodnight!

Pax!

Nick

No comments: