Monday, May 23, 2011

Obedience

So today began Chapter 5 of the Rule on Obedience. Now over the next few days I'll be digging more in depth, but for the section that I had today it was an introduction by connecting it to another rule into the future; humility.

This chapter is chiefly about one's obedience to the Abbot at the monastery in which they are a part. And honestly, I have the same obligation. The Archabbot at St. Meinrad is Justin DuVall, OSB. He's been the Archabbot since 2004:




Here is some information on him, from the St. Meinrad website:

"On December 31, 2004, the Right Reverend Justin DuVall, OSB, was elected archabbot of Saint Meinrad Archabbey in southern Indiana by his Benedictine confreres. He is the ninth abbot and sixth archabbot in the more than 150-year old monastic community’s history. 
Born in 1951, in ToledoOH, he professed vows as a Benedictine monk in 1974 and was ordained to the Roman Catholic priesthood in 1978. He did graduate studies at the University of Michigan, where he earned a Master of Arts degree in library science in 1979.
From 1979-93, he was the assistant librarian in the Saint Meinrad Archabbey Library. In 1984, he was appointed prior (second in leadership) of the monastery and served in that capacity until 1995. Other assignments have included master of ceremonies, assistant to the novice/junior master, and chairman of the monastery’s Liturgical Advisory Committee.
Archabbot Justin also has served as a member of the Archabbey Council and the Archabbey Strategic Planning Committee, an advisor for Abbey Blessings catalog, and a commuting chaplain for Monastery Immaculate Conception in FerdinandIN.
He served as associate dean of Saint Meinrad School of Theology from 1995 to 1996, when he was named the provost and vice rector of the School of Theology. He served in that position until his election as archabbot."
I had the pleasure of meeting Archabbot DuVall last summer during my first retreat to St. Meinrad. What a tremendous man, and it's no wonder he was elected to serve in the post.

The reading today from the rule really encapsulates this obedience to one's superior both directly in terms of my Oblate relationship to the archabbot, as well as to my overall obedience to Christ. The Rule quotes:
"I have come not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me..." (John 6:38)
I am fine with accepting this form of obedience in my life. Just as I am to the Pope or to Christ Himself. I think this introduction to obedience is wonderful and helps one to understand their place and the great responsibility there is in submitting one's will and choices to another. That's not to say your opinion is worthless or less valuable. SO what this has taught me is not only respect for elders/others, but to understand my place within things. Granted this is an early start of course, and my views will likely be shaped as I get more educated...but so far so good! :-)

I think the following diagram accurately depicts the crux of benedictine spirituality:


This is connected to a website that is frankly a home run when it comes to understanding the tenants in a format that is greatly enhanced by thorough examination. Kudos to Michael Haywood for his dissertation on this which can be FOUND HERE

Pax,

Nick

No comments: