So,
Last night I had a few hours to spend with my brothers. They've been mentioned namelessly throughout my blogs, but we finally got to have some Christmas time together as we have for the past few years. Each year brings with it more uncertainty than before, as all of us are embarking on new challenges and directions in our lives. One has graduated school finally, and feels a little lost, not sure of the next steps and just needs some sound footing.
The second is riding the wave (so to speak) and is discerning his vocation to some form of religious life.
I too have been discerning for some time my own vocation. I've chosen of course my primary vocation in marriage and union with my wonderful wife! We are in the process of considering children, and all the fun change that brings to life. I am looking into further faith formation, with an eye on my own future religious vocation. As it stands today I serve, minister, lector, usher, and every other sort of role at the Cathedral. I love my opportunity to serve there! I continue to feel drawn into the church because of these ever emerging events.
I am applying for the Lay Pastoral program at the Seminary for fall 2012. This foundation knowledge will only take Saturdays at various times throughout the year. This foundation will be important for my next steps which I am proud to say currently involve the permanent deaconate. Now is the time to prepare myself for possible acceptance for the 2016 class. That's a LONG way off. Between now and then, kids will likely be in the picture, my wife and I may have different job, live in a different home, so many variables...but I feel strongly called to this and have been in this process now for a few months.
I am young. And MANY consideration are necessary for this process. Perhaps THIS is not the class if we have 2 young children. But there WILL be a class in the future regardless. If this event holds true to the rest of my life...it'll likely NOT happen in the time frame I've outlined here, but I feel as though it will still happen at some point in my life (should I live that long) and for that I feel truly blessed.
My discerning brother too has time. Time to investigate, to understand and to further explore his options. I wish I had been clued in at that age! :-) But being on the path I am on...better late than never right?! And all things on God's time...despite my aspirations for something more...and sooner.
The struggling brother reminds me so much of me. I struggle frequently with the volley of life's great events back and forth above me. But in the past year I have been so fortunate to grow in capacity for my faith as I work tirelessly to engage in a more intimate level with Christ.
They may both be called away...for a time, or altogether permanently, and that is sad, but the journey traveled thus far has made even that prospect palpable.
Pax!
Nick
No comments:
Post a Comment